Wednesday, January 8, 2014

WHAT? WEDNESDAY: FAVORITE DOWNTON ABBEY CHARACTER

Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

I watched the season four premiere of Downton Abbey yesterday, so we can talk about it now. We won't say too much, though, just in case you haven't seen it yet and want to do so.



Well, what did you think of the show? Lady Mary is certainly the picture of depression. She's so thin she's a stick (so is Lady Cora). Her eyes are sunken. She looks quite the walking corpse. It's good that Tom has her taking an interest in the estate. When she went on his rounds with him, did you notice she wore her mauve coat and hat instead of the black? That's encouraging.

Anyway, today's question is Who is your favorite Downton Abbey character?

It's not easy for me to answer. I know a lot of people don't care for Lady Mary, but I like her because she's so bitchily honest.


I can't help loving Anna. She's so good and so determined. Talk about loyal. Remember that incident with Mr. Pamuk during the first season? Anna helped out with the corpse. She wanted to protect Lady Mary. And then there's Thomas. He's hideous, but it's fun to have hateful characters. We don't want everyone to be good all the time. How boring.

Speaking of Thomas, do you believe that O'Brien really up and left? Or do you think it's possible that someone murdered O'Brien and then was able to dress in her clothes and make it look as if she left? I can think of someone who could and would do such a thing. I doubt if we've heard the last of O'Brien.

But I know who my favorite character is. She's bitchily honest, yet loving and compassionate. I have to choose the Dowager Countess, Violet.


Her little asides, which aren't always asides but often are spoken quite openly, are hilarious. Yet when she arrived for darling Lady Sibyl's funeral . . . oh, my. How I cried. And she really does try to help people. She's not cruel. She's just old enough to say what she thinks, and she's not afraid of getting involved in other people's affairs.

Now how about you? Who is your favorite Downton Abbey character?

Did anyone else watch the preview special for season four? It was hosted by Susan Sarandon. It's fun to see the characters as the people they really are. Anna, with her hair down, is startlingly beautiful. Edith, with her hair down and her nose still beaky, is startlingly unattractive. Mrs. Hughes doesn't look like Mrs. Hughes. I was shocked at the sight of her. Thomas is hot, and I do mean sizzling.

I'm so glad we have Downton Abbey to enjoy each week–for a while. We'll have to discuss suitors for Lady Mary as they pop up.


Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug


31 comments:

  1. Do I have to pick only one favorite character, Janie Junebug? My first choice would have to be Anna. She's good and decent and honest, and you're right about Joanne Froggatt, the actress who plays her. She cleans up good! I also like Mr. Bates, Lady Mary, thoroughly modern Edith, conniving Thomas and the wise cracking Dowager. The entire cast is wonderful and I'm all in for season 4!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. Sometimes you can't choose one, but Anna is certainly an excellent choice. I don't like Edith. There's just something about that beaky nose of hers that puts me off my feed.

      Delete
  2. Maggie Smith (Violet) is by far my fave. She was my fave in Gosford Park, as well. Mrs Hughes is second. Most annoying is Robert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robert was his usual stupid self in the first episode. "Leave Mary alone! She shouldn't be bothered!" He just wants to keep everything to himself so he can ruin it again.

      Delete
  3. Aww, man, I want to dive in on this, but we dumped cable for cost reasons and so the only season I've seen of Dowton is the first. Unfortunately that doesn't leave me with much knowledge compared to the average fan. But I do love the stoic-yet-subtle character of Mr. Carson (the old head butler dude), but the Dowager Countess is also a top contender just because of her mouth-acting. The way she purses her mouth when she is not pleased is such a delight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's on Netflix Screaming and current episodes are on the PBS Web site. You simply must catch up! I love Mr. Carson because he loves Lady Mary, and he's so sweet with baby Sibyl. I wish I could purse my mouth the way Maggie Smith does.

      Delete
  4. Would you believe I've never watched Downton Abbey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shocking! Absolutely shocking! I think you'd love it. It's on Netflix Screaming or you can get the DVDs. Don't try to start watching with the current season. You have to see it from the first episode and watch every single one to understand what's going on. It took me a while to learn their names and positions.

      Delete
  5. Maggie Smith is my favorite character, unless you count the castle itself which has so much appeal and history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you see the special about Highclere Castle? (I hope I spelled that correctly.) It was very interesting. It's in Hampshire, although the show is set in Yorkshire. Before I read it online, The Hurricane told me that most of the people sounded as if they were from Yorkshire. My little girl is so well traveled. One of these days she might be able to say she's seen as many places as you and Mrs. C.

      Delete
  6. Oh, hands down, my favorite is the Dowager Countess. I wish I had as quick a wit. I have a day set aside for myself next week and I am going to watch the entire season 3 of DA. Oh, the bliss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should all have Julian Fellowes to write one liners for us. After this season, I want to go back and watch every episode from the beginning. Willy Dunne Wooters and I have been watching Mad Men that way. I can't believe how much I've forgotten from the first few seasons.

      Delete
  7. Never watched it. The era seems to bore me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Coffey. They're getting into the Roaring Twenties. We should see some scandalous behavior from Lady Rose.

      Delete
  8. I've never seen that show. I bet I'd like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Jilda should watch it together, but don't start with the current season. It won't make sense. Go back to the beginning.

      Delete
  9. I have always liked Anna for her innate goodness...
    But the first place must go to lady Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent choice, John. Lady Mary is such a beautiful bitch, yet I believe she truly loved Matthew. This season she really has to stand up for herself.

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Would you believe I've never watched Downton Abbey? I rarely watch TV. This seems to be a favorite series for a lot of people, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't watch much TV, but I record and watch DA every weekend. A "season" isn't very long with these show, so you aren't making a huge commitment, except that you'd need to watch from the beginning to catch up. I think you'd love it, and you might be able to let your daughter watch with you. It doesn't have profanity, but it has some sexual high jinks, which are not graphic.

      Delete
  12. I haven't seen "Downton Abbey," but I have a feeling that Maggie Smith alone will make me start it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have no particular Downtown Abby favourite. The are all positively superb ... in every possible way.

    It's one of the best things on the box. Methinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I'm so sad when each season ends and I have to wait such a long time for the next season.

      Delete
  14. This is where I abashedly admit, I don't watch Downtown Abby. Is that crazy? Truthfully, I've only even watched two TV shows in the last three weeks. I HAVE read 4 books though. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're allowed to read books. I read a book here and there and everywhere. I like to read in restaurants, but I don't read when I eat with Willy Dunne Wooters. I'd like to, but I suppose it's rude.

      Delete
  15. I'm going to be honest. I didn't read this post. I've only seen the first few eps of DA and that was before Netflix yanked them from Screaming. Pissed me right off. Now I have to get them via DVD and I'm not getting DVDs right now because I have so much Screaming to watch I'll be dead by the time I get through my quay-way. So, I didn't read this post because I was afraid I might get some intel about the show I didn't want to have prior to actually watching the show. But don't worry, I still love you.

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ok since I have never seen the show I have nothing to say about it, but I came I read and now I am leaving to tend to nappy changes yeah dirty nappies at that how lucky am I.

    ReplyDelete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.