Friday, May 13, 2011

TO GAY OR NOT TO GAY

Gentle Readers,

I am concerned about the number of people I hear describing something they don't like by saying "it's gay," "that's gay," "you are so gay."

I'm especially concerned because I've fallen into imitating what I've heard and two or three times I've described something as gay.

First, I have to make sure I don't make this mistake again.

The relationship to homosexuality is obvious, and I have no problem with gay people. So, I must avoid the gay put down, just as I have already avoided saying that something or someone is retarded. That's rude too.

If you think I've overdoing the political correctness, well, too bad. I don't agree.

Thus, I ask you, all my gentle readers, to please watch your language. It's fine to say you don't like something, but let's try not to offend people in the process. If you wonder whether it's o.k. to use gay or retarded, then try substituting "black."

If it's not o.k. to say black, then it's not o.k. to use other labels that are traditionally considered denigrating.

Infinities of love,

Lola

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.