Tuesday, April 5, 2011

127 HOURS

Gentle Readers,

127 Hours is a jaw-dropping, roller coaster ride of a movie that thrills and terrifies at the same time.

Director Danny Boyle - Whoo! Amazing lighting, cinematography, claustrophobic framing, great score. I'm impressed. A stylish movie.

I've loved James Franco since Freaks and Geeks. He has turned into the actor I thought he would be when I watched that TV show. Excellent performance as mountain climber Aron Ralston, who says this movie is so accurate that it's as close as possible to being a documentary.

Ralston set out for a climb in Utah, fell into a canyon, and was there for five days. Obviously, he lived to tell the tale. Just in case you aren't familiar with his story, I don't want to give away too much; however, if you are squeamish, then be prepared to be a bit grossed out for a while. Having worked in the healthcare field, I didn't need to put my hands over my eyes, but I sure felt the tension build and build and build until finally -- RELEASE!

I'm a little disappointed that the DVD doesn't have extras, such as commentary by Boyle and Franco, and deleted scenes. I read on IMDB that the movie originally had a different ending. But Boyle wanted the DVD to be as much as possible like viewing the movie in a theater. I totally understand. Even though I don't have some ridiculously gigantic big-screen TV, I still felt the theatrical experience. And I loved it. I just loved it.

You should definitely take 127 minutes plus a few more to watch 127 Hours. It's outstanding.

Infinities of love,

Lola

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.