Wednesday, November 17, 2010

QUIRKY CHARMING MOVIES

Gentle Readers,

I present two quirky, charming movies for your viewing pleasure.

First -- In Paper Heart, part scripted and part documentary, Charlyne Yi explores the nature of love while acting out a relationship with her then-sweetheart Michael Cera, so we have courtship within a relationship and a movie within a documentary, or perhaps a documentary within a movie. Yi co-wrote and co-produced. Along the way, Yi interviews the likes of Seth Rogen on the subject of love, and when she says she doesn't think she's capable of loving someone, he assures her that her love glass is half full.

Charlyne Yi is one of those people who just can't help being amusing and interesting. I first noticed her when she played the stoned girlfriend in Knocked Up, which I think is absolutely hilarious. Michael Cera, of course, was great as George Michael Bluth in the under-watched TV series Arrested Development and was then equally great in Juno.

So Charlyne Yi + Michael Cera =  2(Quirky + Charming)

Second -- In The Answer Man, Jeff Daniels plays Arlen Faber who wrote a book called Me and God 20 years ago and became a spiritual iconic figure. So, naturally he goes into hiding to avoid the people who want to worship him and question him because they believe he can talk to God, and he turns into a really crotchety reclusive turd. But then he meets beautiful single mother Elizabeth, played by Lauren Graham, and change is set in motion.

I enjoy when this movie makes fun of New Agieness. For example, Arlen Faber has a back spasm, which he in a really New Age fashion chooses not to accept. Ha! He ends up on the floor unable to move and has to crawl to the chiropractor. I've made the point before that I'm sick of people blaming people who get sick for being sick, and apparently somebody agrees with me.

Jeff Daniels is good at playing the pompous ass, which he proved in The Squid and The Whale, and Lauren Graham is so wonderful that in my heart I still believe I am Lorelai Gilmore. The thing about Arlen Faber, though, is that you can see why Elizabeth would fall for him. He can be quite endearing and he's really nice to her little boy, Alex.

Alex: My mom says that meat is poisonous and can kill you. 
Arlen Faber: And I say, if that's not the best hamburger you've ever had, I'll change my name to Denise and run into the sea. 

Thus, Jeff Daniels + Lauren Graham = 2(Quirky + Charming + I Love Everything Lauren Graham Does)

Lauren Graham is now on the TV series Parenthood, but I still think of her as Lorelai. What's her character's name on Parenthood? I don't know. As far as I'm concerned it's Lorelai. And the daughter she has on Parenthood? Favorite Young Woman and I call her Bizarro Rory.

And so, Gentle Readers, two more movies that have the Lola Seal of Approval.

Infinities of love,

Lola

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.