Friday, November 19, 2010

MAGGIE GYLLENHAAL X 3

Gentle Readers,

I love Maggie Gyllenhaal. Although she's good in everything in which I've seen her, I'd like to tell you my three favorite Maggie Gyllenhaal movies because maybe you'll want to see one this weekend or over your Thanksgiving break if you're too intelligent to go shopping.

1. Secretary - Who knew sadomasochism could be so damn funny? Gyllenhaal, as Lee, is slyly hilarious in her relationship with her lawyer boss, played by James Spader. These two are perfect together. And what a happy ending. I can't tell you about the last shot -- it wouldn't be fair -- but I love it. I just love it.

Dr. Twardon: Who's to say that love needs to be soft and gentle? 

2. SherryBaby - Wow! Gyllenhaal is so natural in her role as Sherry, the addict and thief recently released from prison who longs to get her daughter back. She is so freaking talented and she plays the role with such freedom.

Sherry Swanson: I want my baby back, Dean. I WANT Alexis! 
Dean Walker: You know, if you stop talking so much about what you want... stop being so selfish... maybe what you want will come to you on its own. 
Sherry Swanson: I'm just mad, cause I suck. 

3. Away We Go - Gyllenhaal is not the star of this movie (John Krasinski and Maya Rudolph star), but she's in the most hilarious part as the professor, LN, who believes that strollers are bad.

LN: [to Roderick] They bought us a stroller. 
Burt Farlander: What's wrong with a stroller? 
LN: I LOVE my babies. Why would I want to PUSH them away from me? 


But what's my favorite Maggie Gyllenhaal movie?

I honestly don't know. How can I decide between the three that I featured? Every single one is an amazing Gyllenhaal feat. And I didn't even get into Stranger Than Fiction. Ach! I love that one too.

Of course, Gyllenhaal has also been in some little films like The Dark Knight and she was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for Crazy Heart. Those are some pretty good puppies.

So go on. I dare you. Get into some Maggie Gyllenhaal and do it soon.

Infinities of love,

Lola

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.