Wednesday, September 1, 2010

WHERE MEN WIN GLORY

It is my opinion, Gentle Readers, that Jon Krakauer writes damn fine books.

I have already read Into the Wild and Under the Banner of Heaven.

Excellent, excellent books - such rich detail and no jumping around in time, no confusion. Everything clear and perfectly laid out.

And now we have Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman.

I admit, I don't think Glory is as good as the other two Krakauer books I've read, but it's still very, very good.

Once again, complete and detailed. Gets more and more interesting as you go along even though you (or most of us anyway) know what happened to Pat Tillman.

I don't want to go into detail in case you're not totally familiar with the story. And an excellent way to learn the truth about the way this case was handled is to read Krakauer's book.

I thought I knew all about it, but I learned more from this book. Krakauer leaves no stone unturned.

And by the way, I'd like to mention how pleased I am that I first learned about this book when I saw Krakauer on The Daily Show. Jon Stewart has the best of the best on his show and his interviews are unusually intelligent. I get the feeling he actually reads most of the books of which he speaks; he's not just working from some staffer's synopsis.

I should also congratulate Stephen Colbert for having Krakauer on The Colbert Report when Glory came out in paperback.

And last, but certainly not least, Tillman Family: You are way cool. Thank you for all you do. And Marie Tillman, thank you for creating such a meaningful scholarship program. Way, way cool. Not calling attention to yourself. Not out picking on the people at fault (Krakauer can handle that, but it's not picking - it's intelligent reporting). You just keep on keeping on and make life better for young people.

Infinities of love,

Lola

1 comment:

  1. Mr. Colbert was in my dorm room in college. He was friends with my roommate.

    ReplyDelete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.