Saturday, July 24, 2010

THE GREAT REVELATION

A great revelation has been revealed to me, Lola, Gentle Readers.

I know what's wrong with men.

I must preface the revelation of the revelation by explaining that I've gotten hooked on the original programming on American Movie Classics.

Breaking Bad, about a high school chemistry teacher who cooks meth, is darkly amusing and dramatically amazing.

More recently, I've started watching Mad Men, about high-powered and wannabe high-powered men working at an ad agency in New York. And sometimes we see their home lives, especially that of the lead character, Don Draper.

My great revelation about men was revealed to me by watching Mad Men.

Watching it is kind of like opening a time capsule that was sealed during my childhood.

It's set in about 1960. The men are sexist pigs who harass the secretaries and expect these working girls -- and yes I use the pun deliberately -- to get down and dirty with them whenever the opportunity arises, and they treat their wives like crap. They don't come home on time. They have little involvement with their children (Don Draper once went to pick up the cake for his child's birthday party and didn't come back). If their wives try to be involved in their lives or ask where they've been, they yell about how what they do is none of Wifey's business.

So now do you see where I'm headed with this?

Men think it's still 1960 or so. That's what's wrong with them.

They cheat; they think caring for their own children is baby sitting (because childcare is Mommy's responsibility); if you're sick or injured, it's your problem because they're too busy at work to take care of you; their education and career always come ahead of yours . . . I could go on and on.

It is 1960 folks, and this is not the pleasant world of Ozzie and Harriet or Leave It To Beaver. It's Mad Men.

And that's what's wrong with men.

They're stuck in another time. And as for pulling out, trust me: It doesn't work.

Love,

Lola

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.